The CARERS PROGRAM for DEMENTIAFAMILY CAREGIVERS, Summer /Fall Schedule 2023
Offered by: The University of Vermont Medical Center Dementia Family Caregiver Center and UVMMC Department of Neurology
What is the CARERS Program?
CARERS (Coaching, Advocacy, Respite, Education, Relationship and Simulation) is an evidence based therapeutic group program that enhances the knowledge, skills, and competence of informal family caregivers of people with dementia. This program is based on the CARERS Program model developed by the Reitman Centre at the Sinai Health System of Toronto, Canada. Participants who complete the program report increased ability to cope and decreased burden.
What is the TEACH Program?
TEACH (Training, Education, and Assistance for Caregiving at Home) is a therapeutic, evidence based group designed for family members who are new to caregiving. This group meets for 90 minute sessions for 4 consecutive weeks and is led by a trained mental health professional. The program uses a model of supportive interaction, resource sharing, and problem solving.
June-December 2023 CARERS and TEACH Groups:
The Dementia Family Caregiver Center is currently offering 3 CARERS groups and 1 TEACH group through telemedicine, via a HIPPA compliant ZOOM video platform. These groups are intended for family members who have been actively providing intensive care to a family member with dementia. We offer separate CARERS groups for spouses and adult children.
- TEACH: June 2-June 30, 2023. Time: 10:00-11:30 (no group 6/16/23). Facilitator, Lisa K. Lax, LICSW, EdD
- CARERS Care Partners /Spouses: September 15-November 11, 2023 (no group 10/27/23). Time: 1:30-4:00. Facilitators, Lori P. McKenna, LICSW and J Marsh-Reed, MA
- CARERS Adult Children: September 6-October 25. 2023. Time: 4:00-6:00. Facilitators: Rhiannon Champagne, LICSW and co-facilitator to be determined.
- CARERS Care Partners/Spouses: September 11-November 6, 2023 (no group 10/9/23). Time: 9:30-12:00. Facilitators: Tara Graham, LICSW and Emily Mars-Raymond, MSW.
- For other groups anticipated but not yet scheduled please contact the Dementia Family Caregiver Center for updates at 802-847-2466.
The CARERS program consists of 8 weekly sessions for 6 members. CARERS is designed to increase understanding of the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia and to address caregiver burden.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy skills for problem solving practical needs and resource development.
- Communication skills (through simulation or role play) for managing emotions and improved communication with the person suffering from dementia or with others.
Participation is generally covered by the caregiver’s health insurance. Please contact us with any questions regarding potential barriers that may be addressed.
Additional Information and How to Register:
If you or someone you know is interested in finding out more about the CARER’s program, or if you would like to be considered for the group, please contact Lori P. McKenna, LICSW at 802-847-2466 or by email: Lori.McKenna@uvmhealth.org. A pre-assessment interview is required prior to joining the group. We recommend that those with interest sign up soon; space may be limited.