Caregiver Support


Seniors using cell phoneWe at Senior Solutions understand what it’s like to be a family caregiver, and we offer various types of support to help you succeed and also take care of yourself.

Senior Solutions will work with you to:

  • Help you assess your family’s needs and options.
  • Connect you with resources and local programs that meet your needs.
  • Provide short-term relief (respite care) for those who are caring for family members.

To download an extensive list of local resources for caregivers in a printer-friendly format, click here.

To find a caregiver support group online or in-person, click here.

To find a caregiver in your area, see
Rewarding Work is a Vermont website that connects paid caregivers with elders living in Vermont. To get an access code for this service, call our Senior HelpLine at 1-800-642-5119.

Employing a caregiver: For information to help you understand your responsibilities as an employer of a caregiver, see IRS Publication 926 Household Employer’s Tax Guide, at

Frequently Asked Questions by Caregivers in Windsor & Windham Counties

  • How do I find someone to come in and care for my loved one?
    The website is a very good source for finding private caregivers.  Type in your zip code and it will show you a list of available caregivers. Remember to be safe. Do background checks on any caregivers you might hire. This website does not do that for you.If this is not the right option for you, consider a formal provider agency like a home health agency or a local caregiving provider. Many are listed in your phone book or on the internet. Provider agencies do their own background checks on all employees.
  • How do I keep mom from using the stove as she is too forgetful and frequently burns food and pots? I’m afraid that she might catch the house on fire.
    There are several options available. In cases of extreme forgetfulness, a microwave may be the answer.  If needed, the stove’s knobs can be removed or the stove disconnected. Home delivered meals or Meals on Wheels can be a good alternative. Contact our Senior HelpLine at 1-800-642-5119 for delivery information in your area.
  • Dad is now wandering. What can I do to keep him safe?
    The best answer is never leave dad alone. The temptation to lock doors so he can’t leave the house is only good if someone is there with him.  If left alone, he would not be able to get out in case of fire.There are many good preventative ideas for wandering on the national Alzheimer’s website. There is also the Vermont chapter at: or call them at 1-802-316-3839.

    Tip: Touch base with your local police dept and give them identifying information about your parent. This will be very helpful info in an emergency situation.

  •  What is the going payment rate for caregivers in my area?
    This varies from town to town and from caregiver to caregiver. The hourly wage could range from $12 to $25 depending on the care needed. Respite care is usually less per hour and you might be able to negotiate caregiving for overnight or a weekend rate for less.
  • My husband’s mom lives with us and can no longer be left alone. He works full-time and I work part-time. Are there any services available that would help her be safe while we are away?
    Adult Day Services are a wonderful way to keep a loved one safe. They provide transportation in most cases, meals, personal care, medical care like giving meds or taking a blood pressure, and sometimes a foot clinic or hair styling services are offered. Participants enjoy social interaction with exercise and recreational activities. Their daily rates are between $15 and $22 per hour and many times rates can be adjusted according to a participant’s income. The Adult Day programs in our area are:
    Springfield Adult Day Services at 1-802-885-9881
    The Gathering Place in Brattleboro at 1-802- 254-6559.Senior Solutions offers caregiver respite grants to eligible seniors based on need or eligibility. These grants are free and can be used to pay for Adult Day or respite in the home. For more info call our Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.
  • My gram needs surgery but keeps putting it off  because my grandpa who has arthritis and diabetes will not let strangers help him. I would love to help so gram can have the surgery she needs. Is there any program that would pay a family member to give care to a relative? I would have to stop waitressing for awhile to do this.
    Your grandpa is like many seniors in his resistance to having strangers give him personal care. And your gram is like many wives of her age; they feel a strong obligation to fulfill the needs of their husbands even at the risk of their own health. Good news! There is help to pay family members who wish to give care to their relatives.Family Caregiver Support grant programs are designed for short term intervention such as you describe. The person getting the grant would be your grandpa and it “sounds” like he would qualify as he has two medical conditions that he needs help with each day. The grant would pay you to help him with these activities while your gram had her surgery and for awhile after during her recuperation time. However, to be sure, please call our Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 to learn more.

Call our Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 for personalized answers to caregiving questions by our well informed staff. Our business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or leave a voice message and staff will get back to you within 2-3 working days.


Comments are closed.