Abuse, Neglect & Violence

Elder abuse includes physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation. To learn more, visit the web site of the National Council On Aging.

The Women’s Freedom Center
Supports all women who are survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence. Services include: Safety planning, Shelter, Emergency transportation, Individual & group support.
24-Hour Hotline: 802-254-6954 (collect calls accepted) or 800-228-7395 (toll-free in Windham County)
Non-emergency: 802-257-7364

Domestic Violence Hotline
24-hour Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
TTY: 1-800-787-3224
Advocates who are deaf are available to help from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST via:
Videophone 1-855-812-1001
Instant Messenger (DeafHotline)
E-mail: deafhelp@thehotline.org

Adult Protective Services
Vermont Dept. of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living – Adult Protective Services (APS) is responsible for protecting vulnerable adults whose health and welfare may be adversely affected by abuse, neglect or exploitation. Their website offers contact information, guidelines for recognizing and reporting abuse, and a form for reporting abuse.
1-800-564-1612 (toll-free)

Office of Public Guardian
Vermont Dept. of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living – Provides guardianship services to people aged 60 and over for whom a suitable and willing private guardian cannot be found. Every effort to locate a suitable private guardian must be made before a public guardian may be appointed. The Office of Public Guardian can also provide information to the public about guardianship and its alternatives, and help private guardians in understanding and carrying out their duties.

Vermont Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
Assists residents of nursing homes and residential care homes, and advocates in their behalf. The goal of the Ombudsman is to protect the safety, welfare, and rights of long term care residents while supporting the independence of each resident. Ombudsman staff visit nursing homes and speak with residents throughout the year, working to make sure that the residents’ rights are being upheld. Many community volunteers also donate their time to the ombudsman program.
For Windham and Windsor Counties, call 885-5181

Also see legal resources at:

Comments are closed.